How do you let your child know you love them? As parents, it’s easy to just assume that our kids know we love them. After all, we tell them we love them and take care of them right?
But how do you know if your child actually feels loved?
One of the biggest ways any child feels loved is by having effective communication with them. As adults, we ask that they look at us when we are talking and that they listen. We must do the same with them. Make eye contact and “listen with your heart”. Kids know when you are distracted and not paying attention. That makes anyone feel like they are not important.
It may be true that most of us desire to make our child feel loved and valued, but why is it important for a child to feel loved?
Studies have shown that children who do not feel loved and valued are more stressed, feel less secure (regardless of accomplishments), lack confidence, and can struggle with mental health and healthy relationships.
We know that kids are special and a gift from God. Let’s be intentional to make our children feel loved and valued the way they should!
How to Make Your Child Feel Loved
Now that we’ve discovered one of the most important ways to make them feel loved and the importance of finding ways to show your child you love them, I want to help you get started! I came up with 20 simple ways to make your child feel loved. None of them take very long, and most of them are free!
When it comes to raising happy and healthy children, one of the most important things you can do is make sure they feel loved. Here are a few ways to make your child feel loved…
20 Ways To Make Your Child Feel Loved
- Take them on a special outing for no reason, and get them their favorite treat.
- Tell them often how much you love them
- Kiss them goodnight, and spend a few minutes talking with them at bedtime.
- Apologize and ask forgiveness when you have responded wrong.
- Have a weekly family night.
- Play games with them.
- Brag about them to your spouse and their grandparents when you know they can hear you from the other room.
- Teach them how to do something new.
- Sit down with them and look at old pictures of them, or watch videos of them.
- Write them notes and leave them under their bedroom door, or on their pillow.
- Read to them daily.
- Bake with them.
- Make mealtimes fun by having them share about their day, and just having good conversation. Don’t be in a hurry to just get done – linger at the table with them and chat.
- Hug them regularly.
- Put your phone away when they are with you.
- Make birthdays special by letting them choose their favorite meal for dinner.
- Pray for them, and let them know that you do.
- Listen to them, and hear their emotions, not just their words.
- Show an interest in what they are interested in and excited about. Let them tell you about it, and teach you about it.
- Occasionally when you are out, buy their favorite treat and bring it home for them.
Making your child feel loved is one of the most important things you can do. There are many ways to make your child feel loved, and each one is important. By taking the time to show your child how much you care, you can help them develop into happy and healthy adults. I encourage you to choose one of these ideas to show them they are loved and valued and do it today!
What are some ways you would add to this list? Tell me in the comments below!