(This post, 3 Opinions God Has About Dating, is taken from a sermon that my oldest son preached at a youth meeting. I have edited it a little so it wouldn’t be as long, but it still contains the vital thoughts he gave.)
Did you know that the word “dating” is not in the Bible one time?
However, that doesn’t mean that God doesn’t have an opinion about it! God is the ultimate matchmaker, and the creator of marriage.
Therefore, I believe that God has a very strong opinion about dating:
- The second most important decision you will ever make is who you marry.
- You probably will marry someone who you date, so who you date will eventually determine who you marry.
- To think that God doesn’t care how you make the second most important decision in your life doesn’t make sense.
- God cares who you date, when you date, where you date, and how you date.
3 Opinions God Has About Dating
1. God has a definite purpose for dating. God’s purpose for dating is marriage.
“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” Gen 2:24
The only reason for dating is marriage. Dating is the vehicle we use to get from singleness to marriage.
You don’t get in the vehicle of dating…
- Just because it’s fun.
- Just because it’s the popular thing to do.
- Just because everybody else is doing it.
The only reason to get in the vehicle of dating is so it can take you to the destination of marriage.
So many young people just wander in circles in dating, because they have forgotten the destination. When you forget the purpose of dating, you will usually end up somewhere that you don’t want to be.
RELATED: 9 PROBLEMS WITH DATING
2. God has a definite standard for dating.
God’s standard for dating is purity.
“Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his his own soul. I Cor. 6:18
3. God has a definite timing for dating.
“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; “ Eccl. 3:1-5
When you want to get somewhere, there are steps you take. First, you decide where you want to go, then when you want to get there. Next, you figure out how long it takes to get there.
Now apply that to the timing of dating:
1. What is the purpose of dating? (Marriage)
2. When do you want to reach marriage? (When you are ready…)
3. How long does it take to get to marriage once you start dating?
4. There is no reason to start dating until you are very close to being ready to get married.
The thrill of dating can be compared to riding a roller coaster. Once you get on, you can’t slow it down. Once you start dating, it can be very exciting, but you can’t slow it down. Why don’t you just wait to get on the roller coaster?
God has a special person waiting somewhere for you. It’s going to be great, so don’t ruin it by being impatient.
Today I encourage you to make the two following commitments:
1. I’m going to protect my purity.
2. I’m going to wait to date.
This is the perfect web site for anyone who would like to understand
this topic. You realize a whole lot its almost hard
to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).
You certainly put a new spin on a topic which has been discussed
for years. Wonderful stuff, just great!
First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you don’t
mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your head before writing.
I have had trouble clearing my mind in getting my ideas out.
I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like the first
10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips?
Many thanks! adreamoftrains website hosting