Often in my workshops, the topic of winning and keeping the heart of your child is discussed. Along with that, I always mention the importance of getting your anger under control. I have had moms start to cry when I talk about this. Many have come to my booth and cried as they talked about their struggle to control their anger in their homeschool.
Parenting and homeschooling tend to bring out the “over-reactive” in us! Yes, I can be and have been the over-reactive Mom who came unglued! Over time I learned to do better. I’m going to share some secrets I learned about how to avoid coming unglued with your kids here.
How To Overcome Anger In Your Homeschool
When you have an anger issue, it leaves you feeling guilty for how you respond to your kids. I know there have been times when I responded to my kids in anger, determined it wouldn’t happen again, then cried when it did.
I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating. Getting angry with your kids occasionally, and responding wrong isn’t going to bring your children to ruin.
However, it can ruin your relationship with them, if you don’t make it right.
Why is anger so damaging?
- It is one of the biggest causes of rebellion in our children
- It causes our children to harbor hurt that can turn to bitterness
- It causes us to lose their hearts, and no longer have influence with them
- Anger doesn’t address the heart issue and focuses more on changing behavior
- Anger is catchy. If one or both parents have an angry spirit, there’s a good chance that the kids will too.
However, there is help and hope to overcome anger in your homeschool!
The Bible tells us “Be ye angry and sin not,” so the anger itself isn’t the issue. When you get angry and respond harshly, always go-to that child and apologize. Make things right as soon as you realize you lost control.
If this is something you struggle with, don’t despair. You aren’t alone. Many moms struggle with their anger. The key is learning to overcome anger in your homeschool God’s way.
With help you will be able to:
- See what the Bible says about how to handle your anger
- Learn what your anger triggers are so you can stop that anger in its tracks
- Recognize the negative thoughts that lead to anger
- Replace lies with God’s truth
- Practice the pause and stay calm in situations where you’d normally explode
- Respond with a plan rather than reacting in anger
- Manage your anger in a Biblical way
- Take preventative steps to overcome anger
- Restore relationships that have been damaged by anger
Overcoming Anger God’s Way gives you Biblical help for your anger. You CAN have a peaceful home and be a calm mom!
Seek God’s help, and ask Him for victory in this area!
Take a look at the rest of the reasons homeschool moms cry below: