Advent is more than just counting down. It is a celebration of the coming of our Savior. What better way to celebrate than by focusing on who Jesus is, while reading Scripture and thinking about His names during Advent.
There are several fun ways to have an Advent countdown with the names of Jesus:
1. With Ornaments
For this, you simply need 25 Christmas ornaments and a permanent marker.
Write one of the names of Jesus on the front of each bulb and the related Bible verse on the back of it.
Put one of the ornaments in a box each morning and let one of your children open it. After they open it, have them (if they are old enough) read the name of Jesus out loud, then look the Scripture reference up, read it out loud to the family and talk about what it means. After that, the child can hang the ornament on the tree.
Place the box under the tree and put a new ornament in it each day, and have the kids take turns opening them.
2. Print each name and Scripture on a card and place them in numbered envelopes. Let the kids take turns opening one envelope daily, then discuss the name of Jesus & the Scripture, and what it means. (Cards are included in the free printable Advent pack below.)
3. Make a paper chain with 25 numbered links, and write one name on each link, along with the Bible verse reference. Staple the links together, and hang on the wall with link 25 at the bottom.
Each day, starting with link 25, take one link off the chain, and discuss the name and verse.
This will give your kids the visual countdown till Christmas, and is a great way to focus on Jesus and His many names throughout the Christmas Season!
4. Use the list for daily Scripture writing. Simply write the name for Jesus at the top, then copy the Scripture below that.
(Copywork pages are also included in the free Advent printable pack below.)
You can look up your own verses and names for Jesus, or you can use the list I have put together:
Names of Jesus
1. Jesus – Matthew 1:21
2. The Word – John 1:1
3. Alpha and Omega – Revelation 1:8
4. Mediator – I Timothy 2:5
5. Lamb of God – John 1:29
6. Light of the World – John 8:12
7. Lord of All – Acts 10:36
8. Great High Priest – Hebrews 4:14
9. Good Shepherd John 10:11
10. Great Physician Luke 9:11
11. Bread of Life John 6:35
12. King of Kings – Rev. 17:14
13. Son of Man – Mark 10:33
14. I AM – John 8:58
15. Son of David – Matthew 1:1
16. True Vine – John 15:1
17. Wonderful Counselor – Isaiah 9:6
18. Redeemer – Job 19:25
19. Prince of Peace – Isaiah 9:6
20. The Way, The Truth, The Life – John 14:6
21. Immanuel – Isaiah 7:14
22. Messiah – John 4:25-26
23. Son of God – Luke 1:35
24. The Mighty God – Isaiah 9:6
25. Savior – Luke 2:11
Be sure to grab our free NAMES OF JESUS – ADVENT PRINTABLES PACK Here!
The Names of Jesus Advent Countdown Printable Pack Includes:
- Printable list with the name & Scripture reference
- Copywork pages for the Scripture
- Cards to put in an envelope and pull out daily.
Make this Christmas memorable as you focus on the names of Jesus!
25 Days of Christmas Books For Children (with free printable)
Help Your Kids Keep The Right Focus At Christmas
Thanks for these lovely ideas. I’ll keep this for next time God willing. Am just trying to cultivate a Christmas family tradition and tho am late with this plans I settled for talking about the stories that surround the birth of Christ and a craft that goes along. Better late than never right? 😀
You’re welcome! Your kids will love the paper chain idea!
This is just lovely, thank you! I am going to use it as a paper chain.
A unique way to celebrate Christ and the bible verses related to the Savior before and after His birth. Prophecy and prophecy fulfilled.